Potter County Sheriff's Department
1 East Second St., Room 24, Coudersport PA 16915
Phone: (814) 274-9350 Fax: (814) 274-4225
Due to COVID19 and the Emergency Declaration issued by the Potter County Commissioners; our office is taking the following actions:
The Potter County Sheriff's Department will be issuing all Potter County resident pistol permits by mail. These permits will be a temporary carry document. We will compile a list of who received these temporary permits and once we are able we will contact you to schedule a date and time for you to come into our office to obtain a permanent License To Carry. Please read the news release appended for more direction.
***WE WILL NOT BE PROCESSING ANY NON-RESIDENT PISTOL PERMITS ANY TIME IN THE NEAR FUTURE***
The June 4, 2020 Sheriff’s Sale is cancelled and the following date of August 6 will be the next scheduled date with a cut off to receive proper paperwork is June 11, 2020.
If you have a Court Emergency or a scheduled Court related hearing, please call (814) 274-9720 prior to coming. Should you be directed to come to Court please come alone. Only essential people will be given entry into the building and please for your safety and ours wear a mask as ordered by the Governor.
Pa Hand Gun Laws
Civil Process Fees: A return self-addressed stamped envelope is required.
$100.00 to file a complaint
$250.00 to file a "Writ of Execution of Personal Property"
$1,500.00 to file a "Writ of Execution for Real Estate"
Any questions, please contact the office.
Pistol Permits: (instructions and applications)
** DO NOT COME TO THE COURTHOUSE; ALL PISTOL PERMITS WILL BE ISSUED BY MAIL**
**NO OUT OF STATE PISTOL PERMITS WILL BE ISSUED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE**
Potter County Residents:
* The applicant must be at least 21 years of age and reside in Potter County, Pennsylvania.
* The applicant must furnish a valid PA Driver's License with the current physical address. A post office box, RR or RD will not be accepted as a legal residence.
* The application form must be completed legibly and completely by typing or block printing in black or blue ink.
* The application must be brought to the Sheriff's office personally.
* The fee is $20.00 cash or check made payable to the Potter County Sheriff's Office. Debit or credit cards are not accepted.
* Applicant is required to furnish 2 references that reside in Potter County; full name, full mailing address and phone number are needed. The references cannot be relatives or reside with applicant.
* All information on the application shall be complete.
**IF THIS FIRM IS LACKING REQUIRED INFORMATION AND NOT COMPLETE IT WILL NOT BE PROCESSED**
*Application to obtain a PA Concealed Carry Permit here.
**RECIPROCATING PISTOL PERMIT AGREENMENT: Between Potter County PA & Allegany County NY (click here for press release)**
Out of State Residents:
* See above requirements as most are applicable.
* The applicant will need a valid driver's license and FULL CARRY, NO RESTRICTION or CONCEALED CARRY permit.......permits with restrictions such as target shooting, hunting or sportsman's license are not accepted.
* Addresses on both identifications must match.
* Applicant may show up and obtain the application, but to expedite the process, please have the form complete and a copy of driver's license and permit in advance.
* References must be from the applicant's county (same requirements as Potter County residents apply)
* Non-resident pistol permits that are valid, but older than 5 years since issuance, require a letter from the Sheriff of the applicant's county indicating it is a full carry pistol permit in good standing within that county. (See Non-resident Sheriff Validation letter below)
* New York State Police Recertification letters validating your renewed NY State Pistol Permit will NOT be accepted showing your permit has been updated. You will NEED the Sheriff's Validation Letter from your County's Sheriff, this letter is only valid for 30 days. (See Non-resident Sheriff Validation letter below)
**New Regulations for New York State pistol license holders
**Recertification is required by law. Click here to view FAQ's and here to learn how to recertify.
** WARNING** Furnishing false information or offering false evidence of identity is a violation of Section 4904 (related to unsworn falsification to authorities) and will be prosecuted.
Application to obtain a PA Concealed Carry Permit here.
If you cannot print the application on one piece of paper, you will be required to sign the second page acknowledging you have read the disqualifying factors to obtaining a pistol permit.
Potter County Jail
102 E 2nd St., Coudersport PA 16915
Phone: (814) 274-9730 Fax: (814) 274-4225
Tuesday 2:15 p.m. to 4:15 p.m. and 7:15 p.m. to 9:15 p.m.
Sunday 9:15 a.m. to 11:15 a.m. and 2:15 p.m. to 4:15 p.m. and 7:15 p.m. to 9:15 p.m.
* If you are being incarcerated, only new packaged whites (underwear, socks and T-shirts) will be accepted. Four (4) sets of each of these items are the limit.
* Family may bring in one (1) set of thermals (new/white), but if more are needed the inmate is required to use commissary to purchase them.
* Money sent in to the Jail for an inmate to use in commissary shall be in the form of check or money order made payable to the Potter County Jail.
* Work Release is a privilege and not a right. It must be court ordered by the Judge at sentencing. Work release is approved or unapproved by the Warden and Deputy Warden and is evaluated on a case by case basis.
* Items being brought in for Work Release inmates are limited to three (3) sets of clothing and one (1) pair of boots or shoes. These items must be marked with the inmates name with permanent marker as we will not be responsible for lost or stolen items.
* The telephone is turned on at 7:00 a.m. and turned off at 9:45 p.m. Incoming calls to inmates are not accepted; all outgoing calls from inmates are limited to 10 minutes and must be made collect. Phones are turned on every day of the week.
* Mail coming into inmates is thoroughly checked. When sending mail, please use common sense; NO money, contraband or other unauthorized materials will be accepted.