Prothonotary/Clerk of Courts/Orphan's Court
Hours: Mon - Fri. 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Closed for lunch daily 12 p.m. - 1 p.m.
COVID - 19 Emergency Administrative Court Order
FOR POTTER COUNTY, PA RESIDENTS
Effective Monday, June 1, 2020 and from here forward, please download and complete the marriage record application at pottercountypa.net (go to Departments, then Prothonotary/Clerk of Courts).
The bride and groom must complete the entire application (PLEASE NOTE: The date of your most recent divorce or date of death of your former spouse IS REQUIRED). Once completed, mail the application to: Prothonotary/Clerk of Courts, 1 East Second Street, Room 23, Coudersport, PA 16915, along with a copy of the bride and groom’s legible photo identification.
Once received, you will be contacted (please provide a telephone number where you can be reached on marriage record application) and given a date/time to come in to receive your oaths and the original marriage license (the bride and groom must both appear in person and pay $50.00 cash).
**PLEASE NOTE** There is a 3-day waiting period so if you include the date you wish to be married, we can assure the dates line up appropriately. Please understand this process is being implemented to protect all those involved. Thank you for your patience during these difficult times.
Kathy S. Schroeder, Potter County, PA
Prothonotary/Clerk of Courts
Kathy Schroeder, Prothonotary/Clerk of Courts/Orphans Court
1 East Second Street, Room 23, Coudersport PA 16915
Phone (814) 274-9740; Fax (814) 274-3361
All public records policy forms can be accessed through the PA Courts website here.
- Confidential Information Form (CIF)
- Confidential Document Form (CDF)
- Divorce Packet
- Divorce decrees. See below for further information.
- Civil Court cases
- Criminal Court cases
- Notice to Resume Prior Surname
- Custody Information Packet
- Custody Relocation Packet
- Birth & death certificates: 1893-1905 (From 1905 forward, PLEASE contact Division of Vital Statistics, New Castle, PA at 724-656-3100)
- Marriage application & returns - 1883-Present (contact the office)
- Naturalization Records (visit the office to research)
- Road Records (visit the office to research)
(PLEASE NOTE: Sealed cases are not available to the public.)
To obtain a certified copy of a divorce decree:
Please allow one (1) week for a certified decree to be processed & mailed to you prior to contacting the divorce office. Repeated telephone calls slow down the process. Thank you.
1. Send money order payable to "Prothonotary" for the total amount due (each certified copy is $5.00).
2. Send a stamped, self-addressed envelope to return the requested certified copy to you.
3. Include a brief note listing the divorce case number (if available), both yours and your ex-spouse's names at the time of the divorce, and the year the divorce was filed.
(If you have questions or are unable to provide all of the information requested, call the office at 814-274-9740)
TO APPLY FOR A MARRIAGE LICENSE: