Potter County Sheriff's Department
1 East Second St., Room 24, Coudersport PA 16915
Phone: (814) 274-9350 Fax: (814) 274-4225
Closed for lunch daily 12 p.m. - 1 p.m.
Due to COVID19 our office is taking the following actions:
The Potter County Sheriff's Department will be processing all Potter County resident pistol permits by mail. Once we have processed the permit and it is ready for issuance, we will contact you to schedule a date and time for you to come into our office to get your picture and signature to issue you your License To Carry. See News Release below for complete instructions.
The Potter County Sheriff’s Department Pistol Permits (Click here for Press Release)
***WE ARE NOT BE PROCESSING ANY NON-RESIDENT PISTOL PERMITS YET. PLEASE WATCH FOR UPDATES . WHEN WE START, WE WILL BE PROCESSING THEM BY MAIL.***
**License to carry firearms permits that expire on March 19, 2020, or later are now valid through June 30, 2021. The previous expiration date was March 31st. **
We are processing and serving civil complaints.
If you have a Court Emergency or a scheduled Court related hearing, please call (814) 274-9720 prior to coming. Should you be directed to come to Court please come alone. Only essential people will be given entry into the building and please for your safety and ours wear a mask as ordered by the Governor and stay 6 feet apart from others.
Pa Hand Gun Laws
Civil Process Fees: A return self-addressed stamped envelope is required.
$100.00 to file a complaint
$250.00 to file a "Writ of Execution of Personal Property"
$1,500.00 to file a "Writ of Execution for Real Estate"
Any questions, please contact the office.
Pistol Permits: (instructions and applications)
** DO NOT COME TO THE COURTHOUSE TO OBTAIN YOUR PERMIT, FOLLOW MAIL IN INSTRUCTIONS AND WAIT UNTIL WE CONTACT YOU FOR ISSUANCE**
**NO OUT OF STATE PISTOL PERMITS WILL BE ISSUED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE**
Potter County Residents:
* The applicant must be at least 21 years of age and reside in Potter County, Pennsylvania.
* The applicant must furnish a valid PA Driver's License with the current physical address. A post office box, RR or RD will not be accepted as a legal residence.
* The application form must be completed legibly and completely by typing or block printing in black or blue ink.
* The application must be brought to the Sheriff's office personally.
* The fee is $20.00 cash or check made payable to the Potter County Sheriff's Office. Debit or credit cards are not accepted.
* Applicant is required to furnish 2 references that reside in Potter County; full name, full mailing address and phone number are needed. The references cannot be relatives or reside with applicant.
* All information on the application shall be complete.
**IF THIS FORM IS LACKING REQUIRED INFORMATION AND NOT COMPLETE IT WILL NOT BE PROCESSED**
*Application to obtain a PA Concealed Carry Permit here.
**RECIPROCATING PISTOL PERMIT AGREENMENT: Between Potter County PA & Allegany County NY (click here for press release)**
Out of State Residents:
* See above requirements as most are applicable.
* The applicant will need a valid driver's license and FULL CARRY, NO RESTRICTION or CONCEALED CARRY permit.......permits with restrictions such as target shooting, hunting or sportsman's license are not accepted.
* Addresses on both identifications must match.
* Applicant may show up and obtain the application, but to expedite the process, please have the form complete and a copy of driver's license and permit in advance.
* References must be from the applicant's county (same requirements as Potter County residents apply)
* Non-resident pistol permits that are valid, but older than 5 years since issuance, require a letter from the Sheriff of the applicant's county indicating it is a full carry pistol permit in good standing within that county. (See Non-resident Sheriff Validation letter below)
* New York State Police Recertification letters validating your renewed NY State Pistol Permit will NOT be accepted showing your permit has been updated. You will NEED the Sheriff's Validation Letter from your County's Sheriff, this letter is only valid for 30 days. (See Non-resident Sheriff Validation letter below)
**New Regulations for New York State pistol license holders
**Recertification is required by law. Click here to view FAQ's and here to learn how to recertify.
** WARNING** Furnishing false information or offering false evidence of identity is a violation of Section 4904 (related to unsworn falsification to authorities) and will be prosecuted.
Application to obtain a PA Concealed Carry Permit here.
If you cannot print the application on one piece of paper, you will be required to sign the second page acknowledging you have read the disqualifying factors to obtaining a pistol permit.
Potter County Jail
102 E 2nd St., Coudersport PA 16915
Phone: (814) 274-9730 Fax: (814) 274-4225
*****THERE ARE SIGNIFICANT CHANGES TO VISITING AT THE POTTER COUNTY JAIL******
****ATTENTION – With Potter County going into the green phase of moving forward in this pandemic on Friday May 29th, we are starting visiting up on Sunday May 31 for Face to Face visitation. Please use a face mask when coming into the facility. Be patient as we will clean the visiting area after each visitors departure. Please read the new changes to visiting. We have a new phone provider that offers many new visiting options.
Face to Face Visitation- this visitation is in the administrative area / front door access portion of the jail and is inmate to visitor with Plexiglas divider and phone usage to communicate.
Remote CIDNET Visitation- This is distance visiting in which an authorized guest can communicate to an inmate via there smart phone, computer or other electronically capable unit to an inmate within the housing cells with the inmate using a wall mounted CIDNET unit.
In-House CIDNET Visitation- This visitation is when a
visitor comes into the administration portion/ front door access of the jail to
use the CIDNET units mounted in the visitation room to call out to the inmate
housing unit to speak to an inmate using their cell block CIDNET wall mount
unit. This visiting using the jail’s CIDNET units is free of charges.
Remote CIDNET Visitation
-Monday, Tuesdays, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday –
-9:15 am to 11:15 am, 2:15 pm to 4:15 pm, and 7:15 pm to 9:15 pm-
In-House CIDNET Visiting
-9:15 am to 11:15 am and 2:15 pm to 4:15
*No Remote CIDNET visiting this day.
Face to Face Visiting
-9:15 am to 11:15 am, 2:15 pm to 4:15 pm, and 7:15 pm to 9:15 pm-
*No CIDNET visiting this day.
CIDNET DIRECTIONS FOR FRIENDS &FAMILY OF INMATES
*Inmate will be permitted to have eight (8) face to face and eight (8) in house CIDNET approved visitors on their visiting list. Remote CIDNET visitors will be limited to 10 (ten) visitors. Length of visits shall be limited to 15 minutes per visitor. Visiting lists shall only be changed at the beginning of each new month.
* If you are being incarcerated, only new packaged whites (underwear, socks and T-shirts) will be accepted. Four (4) sets of each of these items are the limit.
* Family may bring in one (1) set of thermals (new/white), but if more are needed the inmate is required to use commissary to purchase them.
* Money sent in to the Jail for an inmate to use in commissary shall be in the form of check or money order made payable to the Potter County Jail.
* Work Release is a privilege and not a right. It must be court ordered by the Judge at sentencing. Work release is approved or unapproved by the Warden and Deputy Warden and is evaluated on a case by case basis.
* Items being brought in for Work Release inmates are limited to three (3) sets of clothing and one (1) pair of boots or shoes. These items must be marked with the inmates name with permanent marker as we will not be responsible for lost or stolen items.
* The telephone is turned on at 7:00 a.m. and turned off at 9:45 p.m. Incoming calls to inmates are not accepted; all outgoing calls from inmates are limited to 15 minutes. Phones are turned on every day of the week.
* Mail coming into inmates is thoroughly checked. When sending mail, please use common sense; NO money, contraband or other unauthorized materials will be accepted.
*CIDNET messaging coming into inmates is thoroughly checked. When sending messages do not send inappropriate material, doing so could suspend your ability to communicate with an inmate in our facility.