Potter County Sheriff's Department
1 East Second St., Room 24, Coudersport PA 16915
Phone: (814) 274-9350 Fax: (814) 274-4225
Closed for lunch daily 12 p.m. - 1 p.m.
The Potter County Sheriff's Department will be processing all Potter County resident pistol permits by mail. Once we have processed the permit and it is ready for issuance, we will contact you to schedule a date and time for you to come into our office to get your picture and signature to issue you your License To Carry. See News Release below for complete instructions.
The Potter County Sheriff’s Department Pistol Permits (Click here for Press Release)
***WE ARE ONLY PROCESSING ALLEGANY COUNTY NY - NON-RESIDENT PISTOL PERMITS VIA MAIL. ***
**ATTENTION ALLEGANY COUNTY NEW YORK PISTOL PERMIT APPLICANTS/HOLDERS**
We are processing and serving civil complaints.
If you have a Court Emergency or a scheduled Court related hearing, please call (814) 274-9720 prior to coming.
Pa Hand Gun Laws
Civil Process Fees: A return self-addressed stamped envelope is required.
$100.00 to file a complaint
$250.00 to file a "Writ of Execution of Personal Property"
$1,500.00 to file a "Writ of Execution for Real Estate"
Any questions, please contact the office.
Pistol Permits: (instructions and applications)
** DO NOT COME TO THE COURTHOUSE TO OBTAIN YOUR PERMIT, FOLLOW MAIL IN INSTRUCTIONS AND WAIT UNTIL WE CONTACT YOU FOR ISSUANCE**
Potter County Residents:
* The applicant must be at least 21 years of age and reside in Potter County, Pennsylvania.
* The applicant must furnish a valid PA Driver's License with the current physical address. A post office box, RR or RD will not be accepted as a legal residence.
* The application form must be completed legibly and completely by typing or block printing in black or blue ink.
* The fee is $20.00 cash or check made payable to the Potter County Sheriff's Office. Debit or credit cards are not accepted.
* Applicant is required to furnish 2 references that reside in Potter County; full name, full mailing address and phone number are needed. The references cannot be relatives or reside with applicant.
* All information on the application shall be complete.
**IF THIS FORM IS LACKING REQUIRED INFORMATION AND NOT COMPLETE IT WILL NOT BE PROCESSED**
*Application to obtain a PA Concealed Carry Permit here.
**RECIPROCATING PISTOL PERMIT AGREENMENT: Between Potter County PA & Allegany County NY (click here for press release)**
Out of State Residents:
* See above requirements as most are applicable.
* The applicant will need a valid driver's license and FULL CARRY, NO RESTRICTION or CONCEALED CARRY permit.......permits with restrictions such as target shooting, hunting or sportsman's license are not accepted.
* Addresses on both identifications must match.
* Please have the form completed and a copy of driver's license and current permit enclosed when mailing application.
* References must be from the applicant's county (same requirements as Potter County residents apply)
* Non-resident pistol permits that are valid, but older than 5 years since issuance, require a letter from the Sheriff of the applicant's county indicating it is a full carry pistol permit in good standing within that county. (See Non-resident Sheriff Validation letter below)
* New York State Police Recertification letters validating your renewed NY State Pistol Permit will NOT be accepted showing your permit has been updated. You will NEED the Sheriff's Validation Letter from your County's Sheriff, this letter is only valid for 30 days. (See Non-resident Sheriff Validation letter below)
**New Regulations for New York State pistol license holders
**Recertification is required by law. Click here to view FAQ's and here to learn how to recertify.
** WARNING** Furnishing false information or offering false evidence of identity is a violation of Section 4904 (related to unsworn falsification to authorities) and will be prosecuted.
Application to obtain a PA Concealed Carry Permit here.
If you cannot print the application on one piece of paper, you will be required to sign the second page acknowledging you have read the disqualifying factors to obtaining a pistol permit.